New York, New York
Lower Division (New York)
Position: School Psychologist, Grades 2-5
Location: New York, New York
Start Date: June 2021
There is no place quite like Avenues. We are a top-tier school in New York City that offers a trulyglobal education, one that will expand to the world’s leading cities in the next decades. Our faculty bring widely diverse experiences, but we are all committed to creating a unique educational experience together. We foster a culture of creativity, entrepreneurship, and deep collaboration. We teach and learn through challenging interdisciplinary projects. And we offer unparalleled possibilities for professional learning prospects around the globe.
Deep Collaboration and Constant Evolution
Collaboration isn't a buzzword here--it's woven into everything we do. We have built substantial time to collaborate into our schedule. Teacher teams across multiple disciplines design learning experiences for a whole grade level. This intensity of collaboration is challenging as well as exciting: we're always evolving, learning from each other, and seeking to improve.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
The psychologist at Avenues supports and fosters the mental and social emotional health of students in grades 2-5. The psychologist works in close partnership with teachers, learning specialists, occupational and speech/language therapists, administrators and parents. This includes conducting observations, meetings with students, consulting with teachers and families, creating behavior plans, making referrals to and collaborating with outside providers, joining and co-leading student conferences and supporting crisis management.
WHAT YOU BRING
- Licensed Psychologist preferred
5+ years of professional experience in a school setting
- Deep expertise of mental health and development of children ages 5-18
- Very strong clinical skills, to identify, evaluate and provide services to students with a range of mental and emotional health needs. Can also identify when a referral to an outside provider may be warranted.
- Experience reading and understanding neuropsychological evaluations and developing appropriate recommendations and action plans, based on the data, as well as the student’s performance in school.
- Profound commitment to ensuring and nurturing children's wellbeing.
- Highly effective collaborator, eager to listen deeply, contribute to a team and achieve goals together.
- Very resourceful and adaptive, eager to embrace constant change, growth and learning.
- Understanding of diversity and inclusion practices and how one's culture impacts their learning and how emotions are expressed
- Bachelor's degree in a related field required; graduate degree in psychology preferred.
WHAT WE OFFER
- Unparalleled career growth opportunities across multiple global campuses, including a well-defined career pathway
- The thrill of a start-up, where everyone helps to build and improve, within an organization with global reach, ample resources and proven results
- Frequent feedback, ongoing coaching and top-notch, job-embedded professional learning
- Competitive rewards package, wellness resources, relocation support (as needed), and other benefits to best support you and keep you healthy and happy
- A beautiful, uplifting, student-centric school environment
- A chance to change the world of education as part of a global community spanning three continents
DIVERSITY, INCLUSION AND SAFEGUARDING
Avenues is deeply committed to diversity, equity and inclusion throughout our organization. We strive to uphold a culture in which every colleague feels that they belong, are trusted, and are valued. We welcome applications from candidates of all backgrounds, and strongly encourage candidates from traditionally underrepresented communities or groups to apply. Avenues offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package.
Avenues upholds the highest standards for safeguarding the physical and emotional wellbeing of children. As an essential aspect of this commitment, all offers are contingent upon successful completion of careful reference and background checks.