Operations, Finance & Strategy
Director of Operations and Administration
Begin by thinking of Avenues New York, Avenues São Paulo, Avenues Shenzhen, Avenues Silicon Valley, Avenues Online, Avenues London. Avenues is one school with many campuses, providing transformative, world-focused learning experiences to students around the globe. Avenues prepares students for engaged global citizenship during a time of unprecedented complexity and accelerating change, combining language immersion, interdisciplinary learning, a global curriculum, and a culture of creativity and deep collaboration.
The newest campus of Avenues: The World School, and its first in China, Avenues Shenzhen opened in Fall 2019. It offers a unique early childhood program, and is now planning to expand to serve all grades from toddler through 12. Suffused with light, surrounded by greenery and seamlessly integrating technology, the campus is an urban oasis where architecture inspires learning and curiosity. The curriculum features language immersion, learning through play and interdisciplinary study in a state-of-the-art facility.
opened in Fall 2019. It offers a unique early childhood program, and is now planning to expand to serve all grades from toddler through 12. Suffused with light, surrounded by greenery and seamlessly integrating technology, the campus is an urban oasis where architecture inspires learning and curiosity. The curriculum features language immersion, learning through play and interdisciplinary study in a state-of-the-art facility.
Avenues is excited to share this opportunity for a dynamic leader to join us as the Director of Operations and Administration. The senior leader in this role ensures that Avenues Shenzhen is an environment where world class teaching and learning flourishes, and where families, students and colleagues have an outstanding experience. S/he is responsible for all operational, financial and regulatory aspects of the campus and manages all key service providers. S/he nurtures a staff culture that is relentlessly focused on high quality service and continually improving our community's experience. The Director of Operations and Administration is responsible, along with the rest of the campus leadership team, for Avenues Shenzhen's overall success and accomplishing its ambitious goals.
- Build and nurture a staff culture that is relentlessly focused on high quality service, improving the experience of students, families and colleagues and developing their own professional skills.
- Ensure a high-performing team across all operational areas of the school including facilities, operations, security, food service and other areas.
- Ensure the campus is fully operational at the beginning of the school year and that all needs are met throughout the school year.
- Maintain thorough compliance with all applicable governmental and accreditor regulations.
- Ensure that extensions programs, such as after school and summer programs, meet parent satisfaction and financial objectives.
- Maintain best-in class security and safety practices while ensuring that all members of the community are warmly welcomed on campus.
- Maintain the Shenzhen campus in line with Avenues’ world-class brand standards
- Deliver campus expansion and summer construction in a quality manner, such that the campus is ready to welcome faculty back to a finished school each year.
- Serve as chief financial officer of the campus, managing resources to prioritize the highest value activities and meet budgets.
- Partner with the Director of Admissions and Enrollment Management, manage the financial assistance budget and drive re-enrollment.
Campus and Global Leadership
- Participate as an active member of the senior campus leadership team, which shares collective responsibility for the campus' overall success
- As a global leader, align with, shape and implement org-wide Avenues priorities around operational excellence, stakeholder experience, and other relevant areas
- Enthusiastically tackle the innumerable responsibilities and challenges that come with building a new top-tier school
10+ years of professional experience, with 5+ in operations and/or school leadership
- A keen analytical, problem-solving approach, including in ambiguous situations that require figuring out new solutions rather than taking predetermined paths to success
- Ability to lead effectively through relationships, persuasion and influence
- Track record of both developing strategies to meet goals and executing effectively on that strategy; great planner with excellent follow through
- Strong cross-cultural skills and experience managing in China
- Experience managing the finances of a school, organization or business
- Track record of building effective teams and managing them to results
- Sense of deep personal responsibility for the organization's success
- Passion for education; experience in international and/or private schools a major plus
For an exploratory initial conversation, or to recommend someone for this role, contact Diego Merino, Director of Talent Acquisition, at firstname.lastname@example.org. All communications will be kept in strict confidence. Applications, including a resume and thoughtful cover letter, may be submitted on the Careers section of the Avenues website at http://avenueschina.cn/careers.
Diversity, Inclusion and Safeguarding
Avenues is deeply committed to diversity, equity and inclusion throughout our organization. We strive to uphold a culture in which every colleague feels that they belong, are trusted, and are valued. We welcome applications from candidates of all backgrounds, and strongly encourage candidates from traditionally underrepresented communities or groups to apply. Avenues offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package.
Avenues upholds the highest standards for safeguarding the physical and emotional wellbeing of children. As an essential aspect of this commitment, all offers are contingent upon successful completion of careful reference and background checks.